1. How to apply
- Create a list of preferred properties from our current available property listings.
- Contact us to book an inspection tour of your shortlisted properties.
- Before inspections, please check with Dowling Property Group Team.
- Use the checklist under the ‘To Apply’ tab to ensure you have all the documents you need.
- After the inspection of your preferred properties, complete an application form, including the tenant history form. This can be completed prior to inspection and can be handed to the Property Management Agent.
- If completed after the inspection, please email the complete application form and all the required documentation to one of our offices or by email.
- Please have patience once you have applied. We promise to help you with your property search and also timely processing all applications. As some properties have a large volume of applications, please understand that we will be as prompt as possible.
If you have any enquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us.
2. What you need to know about applying
About the application:
- You can list more up to 4 different properties on the one form.
- Anyone over the age of 18 who is to be a resident will need to fill out a separate application also.
- Applications may be delayed due to unavoidable conditions or awaiting owner approval.
- Look up the Checklist under the To Apply tab to guide you in collecting all necessary documentation.
The process of applying:
- Before you submit an application, you should book an inspection.
- Know that properties can be leased very quickly; sometimes in less than a day! If the property is leased before you can submit an application, we are very sorry but at times it is unavoidable due to rapid property turn around or owner’s instructions.
- We realise that this can be frustrating (for us as well!) but it is often necessary and we apologise for any disappointment.
- The best thing you can do – if you find a property put in an application as soon as possible with as much information as possible
- If you are approved for a property, you have 24 hours to pay the deposit and collect your key from a designated office.
- If you’re not from this area:
- It is often better to research websites and newspapers first and list inspection times and dates to plan out an effective use of your time when you go to view properties.
- If you are unable to get to the inspection, you may be able to get a local friend to inspect any properties that you cannot
3. Living as a tenant
As a tenant, you have a responsibility to the landlord to take care of the property. There are a few things that are requested of you that you should be aware of:
- If you wish to install, modify or replace anything on the property or in the house, including putting up picture hooks, a request must be made to the property manager. This then has to be approved before anything further is done.
- Often there are lawns or gardens on the property that need to be maintained. You need to water and maintain any plants, gardens or grass that is on the property. Other maintenance may be required also.
- Inspections are regularly conducted by property managers. You will be issued a written notice of inspection with given days that the inspections will be performed. If the times are not suitable due to an unforeseeable circumstance, please contact your property manager to arrange a suitable time.
- If you are leasing a strata title unit, there are by-laws that are attached to the lease agreement that MUST be obeyed accordingly. If you need an additional copy of these by-laws, please contact your property manager.
4. Water usage
- The front of your lease agreement outlines if you will be charged for water usage. If you are still not sure, please contact the property manager.
- Water usage is calculated through meter readings and can only be done if the property is individually metered.
- You will be invoiced for water usage every quarter. An invoice from Dowling Property Group will be sent to you and the payment will have to be made to Dowling Property Group not Hunter Water within 21 days.
- If there is a significant increase or decrease in usage since your last bill, please contact your property manager as there may be a leak or broken meter.
5. In case of an emergency
- If there is an emergency, your first call should be to your property manager. Should you not be able to speak to your property manager for whatever reason, please call our office and explain the situation. We will endeavour to deal with the situation promptly.
- If there is an emergency after hours, including plumbing, electrical or otherwise, please refer to the list of contacts on the front page of your lease agreement.
6. What to do if you are locked out
- During business hours you may collect a set of keys from our office. These keys will have to be returned within 24 hours. You will need photo identification and must be listed on the lease in order to loan the keys.
- If you lose the keys at any time during you tenancy, you are responsible for organising a new set of keys as well as the costs involved.
- Outside of business hours please call Hunter Locksmiths first then any other Locksmith that may be available. Please note that you are responsible for the cost involved.
7. Sharing tenancies
- We highly recommend that one person is responsible for paying the rent and water costs as a whole. When tenants try to pay shares individually, it often leads to mix ups or other problems.
- Be aware that all tenants are responsible for any debt. We do not distinguish between separate payments, all tenants on the lease are held accountable.
- Should the tenants residing in the property change for any reason (leaving or otherwise), a change of shared tenancy form MUST be filled out and submitted to the property manager.
8. When an owner requires the property
An owner may wish to end the tenancy. If this occurs the following conditions apply:
- If your lease is about to expire the owner must give you 30 days written notice.
- If your lease has expired the owner must give you 90 days written notice.
- If the property has been sold and the lease has expired the owner must give you 30 days written notice on the unconditional exchange of contacts for sale.
Dowling Property Group welcomes your call to discuss the value of your property. Contact us.
Please click below to download the the Tenancy Application form. Complete the attached form and return to Dowling Real Estate Mayfield after viewing the rental property.
Please contact us to make a maintenance request.
Please click on the button below to visit our tenants login form.